Protecting and improving the quality of life in
Waterville Valley is achieved by 6 Full-time
members, 4 Part-time members, 1 Administrative
Assistant, Per Diem personnel, and Call people from
the Department of Public Safety,
Waterville Valley had long been a vacation
destination since the early 1800’s. Waterville was
incorporated in 1829 and later changed the name to
Waterville Valley in 1966. Development of the valley
started to boom with winter recreation
and a new ski area at Mt. Tecumseh
in the late 1960’s.
February 23, 1967 would be a day
that changed public safety for
Waterville Valley. The Waterville Inn,
was the most popular and historical
lodging in the valley since the 1800’s.
During that evening in February, a fire started in the
kitchen and workers had thought they had put it out.
The fire soon spread from within the walls.
Several fire departments were called from around
the county to respond. The responding departments
were slowed by one of the largest snow storms of
the year. The Inn was a total loss.
March 14, 1967 -Stuart Currier was appointed
as the first Police Chief.
March 1968 - The Waterville Company agrees
to add a bay to the service station on Tripoli
Road to house a fire truck.
March, 1969 - The town approves an article to
purchase its’ own fire truck for $30,000.
May, 1970 Town approves $57,000 to build a
new fire station. (Our current location)
Dial 911 for EMERGENCY
Waterville Valley, NH Department of Public Safety
14 TAC Lane / P.O. Box 500
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire 03215
Dispatch: 603-236-4732 or Duty Cell Phone: 603-254-6708
Current WVDPS Shoulder Patch
*Sorry WVDPS does not trade or sell their patches.
Visit us on
© 2014 Town of Waterville Valley
Department of Public Safety